eBook Writing Workflow for Developers
The ultimate setup for developers writing eBooks
I'll show you how to set up your computer to have the perfect workflow for writing eBooks and generate professional-looking PDF and ePub from them.
Why do you need it?
You will benefit from it if:
- You want to focus on writing your book
- You want to generate professional-looking PDF and ePub
- You want to version your book as you version your code
- You want scripts to automate the process
- You want to use the best tools for writing eBooks
Why does this exist?
I wanted to write an eBook and while I was organizing my thoughts I started researching the eBook publishing tooling landscape. It is overwhelming.
After a day of researching, I ended up in the same place as I started, still not knowing what to use and how to use it. After more hours of installing, configuring, and testing, I finally got the best combination of tools and workflows to write eBooks.
I realized that maybe there would be people wanting to create their first eBook with the same problem as me: realizing they don't know much about the tools and processes involved.
So, this is my solution to that problem: a tried and tested compilation of tools, the result of dozens of hours of researching, that will allow you to create professional-looking eBooks.
What does it contain?
This is a concise guide with specific instructions to:
- Install the required software to write eBooks
- Install and configure a text editor with specialized plugins for eBook writing
- Create a repository in GitHub or GitLab to keep track of all the changes to your content
- Create scripts that can automate the generation of popular formats like PDF or ePub
- Organize the content in a way that is future-proof and that allows you to create any complex eBook
Table of contents
This is the current table of contents:
Part 1. eBook Workflow Setup
- Project directory
- Visual Studio Code
- Our first Book
- PDF generation
- ePub generation
- Automate PDF and ePub generation
- Version tracking
- Splitting the book into chapters
Part 2. Supercharge your workflow
- Beauty Shot
Who is this for?
This guide is aimed at developers and tech writers that are comfortable with using version control software like Git and command-line tools that can be automated to optimize the workflow from writing to publishing the eBook to the public.
Who is this not for?
Of course, with more or less effort, everyone can make something of this guide, but if you prefer visual tools or MS Word-like interfaces, maybe this guide is not for you.
If you don't feel at home opening a Terminal window on your computer or writing text commands by hand, this guide is not for you.
If you prefer visual tools and prefer clicking menus or buttons, unfortunately, this guide is not for you.
What you'll get?
- 45 pages in PDF and ePub formats
- instructions to configure your computer to write books
- scripts to generate PDF and ePub formats with a single command
- recommendations for additional tools to create book covers, amazing images, check for grammar, etc
- lifetime updates to the book
What do people say?
Look what fellow creator Ricardo Cruz said:
Pedro Hernandes, Gumroad Community Manager:
I am a Software Engineer with almost 20 years of experience in private companies and in the government. I have programmed in backend and frontend systems, and I have crashed production systems affecting all users in all of Latin America. Still, I learned from my mistakes. I always learn and share what I learn. I love to share my knowledge. I will always share. You can find more info about me here
Is there a refund policy?
Yes, there is. If you find that the product doesn't do what I offer, just send me a message and I'll refund you. No questions asked.
Do you have some free stuff?
Yes, I do, you can go to my blog and read all my tutorials. They are free for everyone.
Does this really work?
Yes, it does. I used the very same workflow to write this eBook you're about to purchase. So, it is tried and tested.
Follow my instructions to configure your computer and, after that, you can focus on creating your own eBook!
Click the "I want this" button, and start writing your book today!
You'll get my guide with instructions to setup your workflow for writing eBooks